Thursday, October 9, 2008

Your Name on a School

Ever want immortality? We can offer it to you! All you have to do is donate a substantial amount to our school building fund and we'll name a building after you!
It's easier than raising taxes!
It's a tough thing but our schools are so bad here most of them cannot be repaired. There are inadequate, old, unsafe buildings in use right now. Inefficient? Oh my goodness.
We would love to build a "green" school. By "green" I mean and I hope others understand this too, that they are energy efficient and safe, built with the long term in mind. This would mean efficient air conditioning units with timers and limits and windows that are double-paned and reflect the heat. Hopefully they will be built of recycled material for things that can be, and all materials would be safe and non-toxic. They would have to be designed for ease of maintenance (no wall sconces, please, they become cobweb manufacturing plants) and leave out unnecessary items like ceiling tiles which harbor mold and dirt and cover up problems. They would be insulated, use conservation with lights, heat, cool, and computers (can any teacher please read this: turn off the computer when you go home, and the monitor too please!) and quiet. Green also includes bathrooms that are available with some kind of efficient water usage in place. Designs would wisely use space. Would encorporate real time needs such as internet connections, working alarms and communication devices (loudspeakers, phones).
I have a dream....
It looks a lot like "High School Musical"....
I have a dream where the band has a room big enough to hold them all in one place.
I have a dream where the auditorium can hold all the band parents at one time.
I have a dream where the kids want to eat in the cafeteria.
I have a dream that the athletes will have showers for both male and female teams, for visitors and home
I have a dream that the bathrooms will all be unlocked for use during school hours.
I have a dream that the teachers would be rated by the students, and those ratings read by administrators, who would act on them.
I have a dream that the high school library would have more books than I have at home. Current statistics show that 1.5 yes that is one and a half books are checked out per year per student in high school.
I have a dream that High School yearbooks would come out the same year the seniors in it graduate.
I have a dream that kindergarten teachers who shout or scream at 5 year olds would be fired.
I have a dream that mold would be eliminated from school buildings.
I have a dream that oranges will be cut into 6 pieces (at least) so kids can actually eat them. You can't eat a whole or a half an orange without making a mess.
I have a dream that the PE coaches in High School will teach kids a wide range of athletic activity, like the good elementary PE teachers do.
I have a dream that I will never hear, "Please excuse the interruption" over the loudspeaker, ever again.
I have a dream that teachers will be able to teach the curriculum with enough freedom to tailor it to their students.
I have a dream that our parking lots' greatest danger would be teenaged drivers, not loose concrete.
I have a dream that resurfacing roofs with hot tar, peeling paint, rusting door frames, smelly bathrooms, and absent administrators would be a thing of the past, and that our children can go to schools that are clean, safe, and under constant watch of trained and caring administrators and janitors.

Wow that sounds pretty good. Are you good at making dreams a reality? Like a challenge? Come join us!!

No comments: